Essential Oil Use in the Laundry
~Use a 1-2 drops of Lemon oil on a stain. Let it sit a few minutes and rub off with a clean cloth or throw into laundry cycle.
~Place 1 drop Rosemary oil right on the stain onto the carpet and scrub with a stiff bristle brush or directly on clothing stain and toss in the wash.
Grease Stains: Eucalyptus Oil is the best for cutting grease. Place 1-2 drops onto clean cloth, then work grease out of clothing. The next best for grease would be Tea Tree oil , then Lavender, then Lemon then Orange. (Works great on those rings around the tub, greasy countertops, or grease on mirrors.)
In the Washer
Add 3-5 drops any of the following Essential Oils, mixed with warm water, to the Water Softener compartment:
- Nice Fragrance – Ylang-ylang or Lavender or Lemongrass
- Colds and Flu – Eucalyptus or Rosemary or Pine (Use on bed linens and night clothes)
- Insomnia – Marjoram or Chamomile or Lavender (Use on bed linens and night clothes)
- 8oz White vinegar (32oz to make up ahead of time)
- 8oz Baking soda (32oz to make up ahead of time)
- 16oz Distilled or purified water (64oz to make up ahead of time)
- 30-40 drops Eucalyptus or Lavender (100 drops or 10ml to make up ahead of time)
- Mix the baking soda into the vinegar over a sink or other contained area, in a large glass or plastic jar. The two materials, when mixed together, will cause a "fizzing" reaction. Add water and essential oil and stir again.
- Use 1/4 cup per load. Add in Rinse Cycle or soak and wring out cloth and add as a dryer sheet to clothes dryer.
Natural Laundry Soap
This recipe is not only easy to make, it’s also inexpensive as compared to name brand laundry soap and it’s good for the environment.
- 10 drops Grapefruit oil
- 10 drops Lavender oil
- 1 cup Baking soda
- 1 cup Borax
- 1 cup powdered castile soap
- Add the essential oils to the baking soda drop by drop, mixing thoroughly with a hand sifter. Combine this with the borax and soap, and mix again. Store in a tightly covered container. To use the soap, add one-half cup to each load of laundry. (Can Store for 1 year)
Deep Clean Your Kitchen Towels
Your dish towels don’t smell, the microbes on them smell. Add 1 drop of any of the following essential oils to a bowl of boiling water and leave them to soak before washing in the machine as normal: Eucalyptus, Thyme, Rosemary, Tea Tree, or Lavender
In the Dryer
Instead of using toxic and irritating softening sheets in the dryer, toss in a dampened washcloth with 3-4 drops of any of the following oils:
· Fresh – Lavender or Rosemary or Lemon or Lime
· Floral - Bergamot or Geranium
· Energy – Peppermint
· Disinfect – Eucalyptus or Rosemary or Tea Tree
*While the oils will not reduce static cling, they will impart a lovely fragrance to the clothes, while disinfecting.
*To really preserve the scent of EO's used in the dryer, add them and run on a 'no heat' cycle for a few minutes at the end of the drying cycle.
Ironing is another way to infuse clothes with essential oils. Add 1 drop to a plant mister and spray as you iron or add 1 drop to a damp towel and place between iron and material being ironed.
- Romantic – Rose or Ylang-ylang or Jasmine – (Used for Undergarments)
- Relaxing - Chamomile or Lavender – (Used for Bed Clothes)
- Stimulating - Grapefruit or Basil – (Used for work/school/exercise clothes)
- Uplifting - Bergamot – (All clothes to help enjoy the chore)
*To disinfect/kill dust mites, Put 3 drops Eucalyptus and 6 drops Rosemary into 4 cups warm water....Shake and spray onto mattress / bed linen!! (great for hotels)
To continue keeping Clothes fresh
Add 1 drop Essential Oil to a cotton ball and place in your dresser drawers:
- Romantic - Rose – Undergarments
- Relaxing - Chamomile or Lavender – Bed Clothes
- Stimulating - Grapefruit or Basil – Work/School Clothes or Exercise clothes
- Antibacterial/Antifungal/Antiviral/Antiseptic - Lemon, Lavender, and Rosemary – Use for Socks/shoes
Protection Against Moths
~Add a few drops of Cedar or Eucalyptus essential oil to the final rinse water when washing sweaters or other clothing and allow them to soak for about 30 minutes.
~Can also add 1-2 drops on a cotton ball and place with clothing.