Healthy Hair using Essential oils
The following essential oils are listed from less evasive to strongest.
- Tea Tree can be very affective on dandruff. It is the least evasive and should be used for young children and babies.
- Rosemary stops dandruff, and helps hair look shiny and healthy. It promotes hair growth. It is used effectively with alopecia, receding hair lines, and promoting hair regrowth.
- Thyme is good for the scalp, helps treat dandruff and hair loss. Stops hair loss. The soothing and purifying properties make the scalp dandruff free by deep cleaning of hardened sebum, while keeping hair soft and shiny. The conditioning property of Thyme helps detangle the hair making it easier to brush and comb.
There are several ways to use the above oils. Here are some suggestions:
- Add 15-25 drops of oil of choice to a 12oz bottle of Organic, Chemical/Dye free shampoo.
- Use internally, 2-3 drops in a capsule filled with carrier oil, 2x daily.
- Use as a scalp treatment, by adding 10-12 drops to 1 ounce Olive oil, apply to scalp, wrap your head in a warm, damp towel, cover with a sheet of plastic wrapped around the towel, to maintain heat as long as possible. Keep on your head until it cools completely.
- NOTE: Be sure to keep these oils out of the eyes.
Shampoo Recipe, for hair loss/regrowth and dandruff:
Put 12 oz Organic, Chemical/Dye free shampoo, in a blender. Add the following;
- 20 drops Peppermint
- 25 drops Lavender
- 25 drops Rosemary
- 5 drops Thyme
- 10 drops Cedarwood
- Blend all together well, pour back into shampoo bottle. Wash scalp daily with “blended” shampoo.
Scalp Treatment for hair loss/regrowth:
- 3 drops Rosemary
- 2 drops Cedarwood
- 2 drops Sage
- 2 drops Thyme
- 1/4 cup Jojoba oil
- Massage into scalp and apply a hot moist towel around head. Wrap plasic around that, to hold in the heat as long as possible. Keep on head until it cools, up to 1-2 hours.
Oregano oil can be used, if the problem is extreme. 15-20 drops of Oregano can be added to Organic, Chemical/Dye free Shampoo. Shampoo the hair and scalp thoroughly. Let the shampoo sit on the scalp for 2-3 minutes before rinsing. When rinsing, cover eyes well, and rinse thoroughly. Take 2-3 drops Oregano and carrier oil, in capsules 2x daily.
Birch oil can be used in Personal care products to support hair growth. Add 2 drops per ounce.
Lemon oil restores the function of the epidermis, helps with thinning hair and nails by balancing the sebum / oil production.
For Hair loss from Chemotherapy
Create a warm compress, using 4 drops of Rosemary, 4 drops Lavender, and ½ ounce of Olive oil. Massage into scalp, place warm compress on head, and leave on until cold.