Natural Help for Sore Throat/Strep
A Sore Throat is the result of Pharyngitis, an inflammation of the pharynx, which is in the back of the throat, between the tonsils and the voicebox (larynx)
A Sore throat may be the first sign of any of the following:
· Common cold
· Laryngitis (inflammation of the voice box and vocal cords)
· A childhood illnesses including chickenpox, measles etc.
· Acid reflux may cause sore or different strange feelings in throat.
· Possible Strep
Many germs can cause pharyngitis. Viruses are the most common cause of pharyngitis. Soreness brought on by viruses usually develops gradually, with little or no fever. A fever over 101 for more than three days is more likely to be strep throat. Multiple cold or flu symptoms accompany a viral infection, while strep throat usually does not cause multiple symptoms such as runny nose, cough, and congestion. A bacterial infection like strep throat (caused by Streptococcus infection) often comes on suddenly with high fever. Tonsils are red, swollen, spotted with white or yellow dots. Citrus juices, such as orange juice, often "burn" the sore throat caused by a virus, but are usually not painful to strep throat. Most cases of pharyngitis occur during the colder months. The illness can often spread among family members, so scrupulous hand washing is a must.
Sore Throat irritation (Without an Infection) can also be caused by the following:
· Postnasal drip
· Air pollution
· Dry heat
· Allergic reaction
· Acid reflux
· Repeated vomiting (like bulimia) caused by stomach acids
· Avoid antibiotics when a sore throat is due to infection with a virus. The antibiotics will not help. Using them to treat viral infections helps strengthen bacteria to become resistant to antibiotics.
Gargle several times a day with warm salt water (1/2 tsp of salt in 1 cup water).
· Drink cold liquids or suck on Popsicles.
· Suck on a spoon dipped in Honey to sooth the throat.
· Use a cool-mist vaporizer or humidifier to moisten and soothe a dry and painful throat. Add 2-3 drops Essential Oil and 1 tsp Salt for added help. Adding moisture to the air will help to prevent the lining of your throat from becoming too dry.
· If your sore throat is recurrent, then buy a new toothbrush. Bacteria collect on the bristles and if you injure your gums as you brush, they can enter your system and re-infect you.
· Eliminate dairy products, sugar, and refined wheat foods as they cause mucous which creates throat irritation.
· Place a warm towel around the throat area and leave on for up to 5 minutes. This mimics an isolated fever, allowing for more circulation and accelerating the gathering of white blood cells to the area to help fight any infection.
Garlic has antiseptic properties. At the first sign of a sore throat, place one clove of garlic in your mouth between your cheeks and teeth and keep it for a while. Repeat it several times a day.
§ You can also eat two raw cloves each day without anything or chop finely and add to hot soup just before serving.
§ Can also crush one clove of raw garlic and add 2 teaspoons of honey and 1 drop Lemon oil.
Take from the mixture 1 teaspoon several times a day.
Viruses and Bacteria strains can not live in an Alkaline environment.
· Add 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda to a glass of warm water. Gargle every 30 minutes.
· The best sore throat remedy is Slippery elm (Ulmus rubra) bark or Marshmallow (Althaea officinalis) root. They contain mucilage that coat the throat, ease soreness and calm inflammation.
o To make a tea, mix 2 teaspoons of the dried root or bark in two cups of water, bring to boil and simmer gently for 10-15 minutes, strain and gargle/drink every hour.
· A traditional recipe is to simmer 1 teaspoon marshmallow root and 1 teaspoon chopped fresh ginger root in 8oz. water for 10 minutes in a covered pot. Remove from the heat, cover and steep for additional 10 minutes. Strain, add honey and/or lemon and/or 1/2 teaspoon of salt and gargle every 30 minutes if helps.
Essential Oil Help
Essential Oils can help, not only with the pain of irritation, but also if there is a possibility of a viral or bacterial infection. A basic gargle recipe will have a Citrus and Salt in it. Lemon essential oil (or any citrus) helps with shrinking the swollen membranes of the throat and aids in the rapid removal of accumulated mucus in the throat. Salt will inhibit bacterial growth in the warm and moist places of the body like the throat, which is a perfect environment for bacterial multiplication and growth. Lemon juice and Salt dry up the throat, don't use them, if you have a dry throat irritation.
Sore Throat Gargle
Use this gargle to relieve sore throat, hoarseness, and respiratory congestion.
· 1 drop
· 2 Tbsp salt
· 10 drops Peppermint oil
· 10 drops
· 2 drops Thyme oil
· 2 drops Myrrh oil
Bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Reduce heat, add salt. Simmer 15 minutes. Stir vigorously, remove from heat, and add essential oils.
Gargle with 1 cupful. Rinse out mouth with plain water, and repeat with the second cup of gargle solution. Avoid swallowing the solution.
Add 1-2 drops Ginger Root oil to 2 teaspoons honey. Stir into 8oz. Warm water. Add a trace of
Use as a gargle every 30 minutes. (Get a trace of oil by dipping the tip of a toothpick into the
Oregano (Origanum vulgare) Essential Oil is a very effective sore throat remedy.
· Mix together 2-3 drops Oregano oil and 1 ounce Carrier oil, then soak a Q-tip with the mixture and dab it directly on the inflamed area. (If you find it is too hot, add some more Carrier oil.)
· You may gargle with 2-3 drops of Oregano oil and 1 tsp Salt in some hot water as well. It can take up to an hour for soreness to be gone.
Drink warm liquids.
- Honey-Lemon Tea
- Place 2 drops Lemon oil and one Tsp. Honey into 8oz warm water. Stir and Sip.
- Honey-Spice Tea
- Place 2 drops per la Immunity oil and one Tsp. Honey into 8oz warm water. Stir and Sip.
Sore Throat Spray
Add 5-20 drops per la Immunity (more or less depending on how much you can handle) to 1 ½ ounce water, in a 2oz spray bottle. (Use glass, if possible. Essential oils will break down plastics after awhile)
Shake and spray into back of throat several times a day.
Kids Sore Throat Spray
· 5 drops per la Immunity
· 10 drops Pink Grapefruit
· ½ teaspoon Honey or Agave Nectar
· 1 ½ oz Water
· Add to 2 oz Spray bottle and shake and spray into back of throat.
If you have Strep Throat
Do any of the above helps to ease the throat pain, and do the following:
Place 2-3 drops Oregano oil in a capsule and fill the rest with a carrier oil. Take 2-3 times daily for 5-7 days.